Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Card and a Cause


Happy Sunday! Well, I try to keep this blog pretty lighthearted. If you're not having fun with all of this, then what's the point, right?

But, tonight there's something on my mind and I hope you don't mind if I talk about it for a minute. You may have heard that Kay Yow passed away yesterday. She was the coach of the women's basketball team at NC State and she had been battling cancer for over 20 years. There are so many things to celebrate about Coach Yow's life. It's a great loss.

But, cancer was on my mind before Coach Yow passed. This basketball season has been tough for us because our team has been playing so poorly, well, sort of like they played last year...sigh... But, my husband and I have season tickets to the home games and, for the last five years, we've sat next to the nicest couple (Kevin and Lista) and Lista's parents, Matt and Cissy. We enjoyed them so much. We chatted before the games and Kevin and Matt kept me straight on the action during the games. Lista was diagnosed with breast cancer in her late 20's and she had been in remission once. Last year, on January 17, at the age of 32, Lista passed away. She was at a game and then, three weeks later, Matt came to a game and told us the news. This year, Matt and Kevin sit in the lower section. They just couldn't come back and sit in our row. I don't blame them, it's so hard to look at her seat. I miss her.

So, tonight, I wanted to post this card and ask you to visit a site that you may or may not know about. Each time you click on the Breast Cancer Awareness Site, they get money that they use to pay for mammograms for women who may not otherwise get them. You can even sign up to get a daily email reminder from them. We're all on the internet all the time anyway, we may as well take a second to do someone some good, huh? :)

Thanks for listening to this, I really needed some talking time tonight. Have a great week!

Stamp: Ruby Ribbonlace by Chichiboulie for Stamping Bella
Ink: Adirondack Pitch Black
Papers: SU Pixie Pink, PTI SS White, Cloud 9 Designs dp
Accessories: Copic Markers, nestablities, primas, Stamping Bella bonbons, NC State sticker, SU Piercing kit

3 comments:

Janet said...

awwwwwwww such a great cause!! my grandma and aunt are both breast cancer survivors!! i will click the link no problem!! I am thankful our tests are all covered in canada!!!
hugs!!

Giffysk8s said...

Oh, Hope~what a touching story. I also know some young women who have succumbed to this disease in their early 40s. one in her late 20s. It is certainly a worthwhile cause! Thanks for sharing.

Laurel said...

What a story, I will click for sure! Thanks for reminding us.